National First Nations Environmental Contaminants Program
The National First Nations Environmental Contaminants Program (NFNECP) provides funding for community-based research projects on environmental contaminants in First Nations communities south of the 60th parallel. Any First Nations community on reserve south of the 60th parallel that is interested in conducting research on environmental contaminants issues that may affect the health and wellbeing of humans is eligible to apply.
Community-based research includes communities identifying and deciding on the nature of the research topic; research that is beneficial and relevant to the community; traditional knowledge is incorporated into the research recognizing expertise and knowledge of community members - especially Elders; research is driven by values of empowerment, capacity building and social change within the community; and results are accessible and understandable to all community members.
* Projects MUST include a partnership of at least two First Nations communities
NFNECP 2013 - 2014 Call for Proposals
We are pleased to announce, along with our partners, Health Canada and the Assembly of First Nations, the launch of the NFNECP 2013-2014 Call for Proposals and Funding Application Guides.
The NFNECP is requesting proposals for research projects to be conducted by First Nations communities south of the 60th parallel. The NFNECP is requesting projects conducting research on environmental contaminants issues that may affect the health and well being of humans in First Nations communities.
Proposals are to be received no later than NOVEMBER 15, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. PST. Please see the Funding Application Guide for further details.
The NFNECP is funded by Health Canada and jointly administered by the First Nations University of Canada and Health Canada. The Assembly of First Nations provides guiding support to the Program.
CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW TO VIEW OR PRINT THE CALL FOR PROPOSALS PAMPHLET AND POSTER. FEEL FREE TO POST AND SHARE WITH YOUR CONTACTS.
NFNECP 2013 - 2014 Funding Application Guide
The NFNECP Funding Application Guide provides extensive information on:
- The process for applying to the Program;
- A Proposal Template to follow while drafting your proposal;
- A detailed outline of the Mandatory Criteria required for the research to receive funding; and
- The Grading Matrix that is used in the Proposal Selection Process.
Click on the links below to download:
NFNECP 2013-2014 Funding Application Guide (English)
NFNECP 2013-2014 Funding Application Guide (French)
NFNECP 2013-2014 Call for Proposals Pamphlet (English)
NFNECP 2013-2014 Call for Proposals Pamphlet (French)
NFNECP 2013-2014 Call for Proposals Poster
NFNECP 2013-2014 Proposal Template
NFNECP 2012-2013 Funded Proposal Titles
1. "One River, Many Futures: Environmental and Human Health Implications of Athabasca Oil Sands for the Mikisew Cree First Nation and Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation in Northern Alberta"
2. "Assessing the Links between Drinking Water and Health on First Nations Reserves: Groundwater Quality and Potential Sources of Contamination"
3. "Building healthy communities for future generations: A community based stufy to examine health and wellness in relation to environmental contaminants within the Xeni Gwet'in and ?Esdilagh First Nation caretaker areas in Northern BC"
4. "Seine River and Nigigoonsiminikaaning First Nations Contaminantion Project 2011"